If The #NHS Won't Buy Kali A New Wheelchair...We Will!

2/19/2012 02:47:00 pm BenefitScroungingScum 9 Comments

Once again my fantastic neighbours have come to the rescue and solved the dilemma of how to fundraise whilst being on means tested benefits by setting up a paypal account themselves. This means the money doesn't have to go through my bank account and avoids any potential issues with the DWP as the wheelchair is then a gift.

So, on March 17th there will be a fundraising gig at Panache in Hoylake which has it's own facebook page here. There's all sorts of background information about why I need an electric wheelchair and why I don't meet the NHS criteria here, here, here and here. The gig is open to anyone who wants to attend and I'm getting quite excited about the idea of being well enough to actually go out for an evening...the last time I can recall being sometime in October last year...

The best 'guesstimate' I could get for the price of a customised wheelchair is approximately £6000. As it's a guesstimate I might be lucky and find it's only £5000 but equally it could potentially be £10,000 - I won't know until the full assessment on the 5th of March. Whilst there are cheaper electric wheelchairs available, £2000 odd isn't a cheap option, so I've decided its better to wait until I can afford a more expensive customised chair which will hopefully last me many years, instead of a cheaper chair I'd need to replace within a couple.

For the record, I hate having to do this - asking other people for money to fund a wheelchair feels like begging. Its humiliating and embarrassing. That's why my community stepping in to organise this is so wonderful, not only does it reduce the practical burden on me, but the emotional too. So, if any of you would like to help contribute, you'll have my thanks and eternal gratitude for being part of a whole group of people helping me to focus on increased independence, not continued dependence.






9 comments:

daisybeebee said...

I'd love to donate but my paypal is not working (long, frustrating story). Is there any other way , cheque etc? Good luck x

wildcandytuft said...

Wow! I had no idea how expensive an electric wheelchair could be. Far more costly than a decent second hand car. This is why the government must not cut funds. Benefits don't stretch nearly far enough as it is. Best of luck with the fund. I so hope you reach the amount needed!! Yay for the community and great neighbours! x

Mary said...

Further to daisybeebee... my paypal is working (so far as I know) but I don't use facebook. Does the paypal "Donate" button here on your blog go to the same thing?

Just be careful when using paypal as they locked down my paypal account when I was in the middle of fundraising for the iPad for Annie. We raised $700 in 4 hours and they thought it was suss, so they locked the account. It was an administrative headache trying to get the account opened again. It was because I said I was a high profile blogger and mentioned mummybloggers that I got it sorted so quickly (a week) Here is the link lovely http://frogpondsrock.com/2011/12/the-problem-with-paypal-and-why-i-am-considering-closing-my-paypal-account-a-warning-to-other-bloggers/
xx now I am off to donate for you <3

daisybeebee said...

Mary : Thanks , problem is I can't get into my account after moving home/email address and they have not replied to my emails or dealt with on phone. If I can donate in any other way , cheque,cash,Just giving etc I would love to .

Sunny Clouds said...

Donation sent.

Cobblegasm said...

Having tried to live without a powerchair when the NHS were being very slow, I understand some of your frustrations. Thankfully, once I did get through to my NHS services they agreed to give me a chair (postcode lottery). I can only afford a small donation but if lots of people do the same, hopefully you'll be there in no time.

Sunny Clouds said...

I understand from something posted on Ouchtoo that you are upset about my thread about this. I apologise. I intended to help and did not expect to arouse any hostility.

I am enormously grateful to you for what you have done for disabled people, but you don't have to have done any of that to deserve help. You are a human being with a need. That suffices.

sometimes you need to place your hope in your community, who will carry you high - your neighbour sounds like an angel. and with a wave of a magic wand, you will get your chair... well, at least a bolt or two of it from eilidh and her mummy xx